Best of the One Tweets #2

Every Friday we have “One Tweet Reviews” on Twitter. By Monday, I hope to have a shout out to the music I gel with. This week I can only think about one song. It’s a punk song. It’s vulgar. It’s utterly gorgeous. 

I was about 13 or so when Fugazi’s Repeater first played on my stereo. Before that, I had been listening to Rush and Garth Brooks. After that, for a good few years, it was all hardcore and punk. To me at the time, it sounded like the evolution of true rock and roll. Black leather jackets were all the sudden back with punk, I dyed my hair blue, started going to shows, and came away with something totally new in music. Friends. 

Music is said to be cathartic and I wonder how often that’s the case when so much of it is prettier than a Hallmark card. Hallmark cards give the impression of a life without mistakes and fights. They’re like a band-aid over what’s troubling us. Punk is the look in the eye and firm handshake. There are no band-aids. What you see is what you get. There’s honesty in Punk sounds that encourage honesty in lyrics too. When I connect with honest lyrics, I have a song for a while. Punk was my jam for a long time. It’s back, and loud. And that’s a great thing. 

King Goon has a Bandcamp and on there it says,  Hailing from various far-flung outposts of the South Wales valleys and beyond, King Goon play a lunatic and frenetic mixture of ska, punk, folk and noisy rock and roll, that's guaranteed to wear some tread off your dancing shoes.

I was in the right frame of mind when I got this song. It’s called “Fuck ‘Em All” and it makes a good case for it. This one is rock and roll. I hate to even call it punk, just like when I was a kid, because it feels like where we are at now. It’s high time for this song to come out and King Goon speaks for a lot of folks here while being seemingly completely honest about not just their feelings, but their skills too. This song is good. They don’t play down to genre, the lift it. This is not 3 chords and done. This is interesting spirited rock music and I love it. It has changed what I am listening to and changed the sounds coming out of my guitar too. It’s an influence on me. I want to be cool like King Goon is here. 

Honesty garners respect in my book. There’s a lot of it here. But, what happens over the few listens that it becomes “my song,” is I wanna’ be honest too. I wanna’ “let my hair down” now and voice my opinion, or not be scared. 

What I’m getting at is this song has the influence, the spectacle, the talent, and the personality to be a big time song. “Fuck ‘em All” by King Goon is not only an A+ in writing, delivery, and performance, It gets major props for timing. It’s time for this song, and I couldn’t be happier to listen. 3 big stars. 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers for the kind words, we're really pleased you loved the song, and thanks for taking the time to review it. Is a big fuck you to all the bad actors who jump on things to further their own ends, and I agree is very timely!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts