Lurking in the Shadows, Bandcamp favorites

I heard many good songs this week for the Bandcamp Friday mayhem that just passed. Many folks out there have a good sense of humor, some are taking things rather differently, and some are even celebrating Halloween in a very theatrical and musical way. Might we say in the shadows, the way it should be. I’ll waste no time bloviating and postulating significances, there’s too much to cover. However, I do feel like I should give quick impressions. Some of these songs paint very vivid pictures and I don’t feel a music fan or blogger worth his salt if I just leave links with nothing to read next to them. 


I have to start off with Tim Arnold

Tim Arnold is my new favorite. 

Musically we are talking talent. Lyrics were felt. And the feet wanted to dance. I’ll try anything Tim does from now on. Pretty simple, just listen to this one. 



Sofa City Sweethearts  plays you some power pop. They like great lyrics, catchy melodies, good guitars and pop arrangements. What’s not to like?




The Future Us plays classic rock here. Not like classic alternative, we’re talking like Dad’s washing the muscle car getting ready to play in the cover band Friday night classic rock. I swear if this came on any classic rock station across any metro area in the belt, I’d have thought it was some band I grew up with playing a deep track segment. Talent, guitars, rock and roll.




At last we have Helen McCookerybook who teaches how to write a song that is catchy, unique, and insightful. She is able to do all that using very little. Remarkably little. Everything works here. The arrangement is delicious in sparsity in that everything serves a purpose. And what she’s doing isn’t easy, either. Her melodies are full of dramatic dips and dextrous highs. Must buy this record. 




These artists are just a few so far that have submitted. I’m still finding interviews and reviews. Keep those submissions coming. Thanks.

Comments

Popular Posts