Cycles

 One time I got in a little bit of trouble and I was forced to work on a ranch. One thing I remember is the cows. They'd pack in lanes, pipe rail, like sardines through these long winding lines where they'd get tagged and horned, even. Painful stuff. They'd get turned loose and jump and spit but, they always went to the back of the line, after their tantrum, as if to do it all over again. 

I see a lot of musicians kinda' like these poor cows. They are funneled through a packed lane only to arrive at painfully zero validation and they'll get angry then they try again. 

I used to blast people with links. I even got banned for it, once. But even if I found someone who listened and liked it, their feedback was nice but it didn't validate the effort. It may seem in poor taste to some to say it, but they have their own blogs. Regardless, here it is: for me, money validates my efforts. 

Getting paid for something you create is wholesome. People who don't want to pay are not. Wanna break the cycle? Start demanding payment. Get yourself a publicist. Rehearse so you can play shows, where more money is at. Start looking at sync companies. 

Best of luck, fellow troubadours. My hat goes off to anyone pursuing music. It's worth the chase. 

Comments

Popular Posts